Football. Back to school. Pumpkin spice lattes. These are the markers of fall, which officially begins September 22.
When we consider the season’s change, God’s majesty is clear. He created the trees to turn colors and the wind to blow cold. He designed the harvest to end and the birds to fly south. He even tells the squirrels to store away food and our stomachs to crave hot chocolate! (Well, okay, maybe not that last one.) So much about this time of year signals the Father’s glory.
“But ask the animals, and they will teach you, or the birds in the sky, and they will tell you; or speak to the earth, and it will teach you, or let the fish in the sea inform you. Which of all these does not know that the hand of the LORD has done this? In his hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind.” (Job 12:7–10)
At Faithgirlz, we know how busy family life can be this time of year, and how easy it becomes to get wrapped up in routines and forget to look at the world around you. Yet we also believe it’s important to raise kids who seek God in everyday life. So let’s do it together!
Here are some fun conversation starters to get your kids thinking and talking about God’s glory this fall.
- What is your favorite fall leaf color? Why do you think God chose orange, red and yellow instead of purple, pink and blue?
- Which do you like better—the start of football season or the end of baseball season, and why? Isn’t it amazing how God created our arms and legs to work together in sports?
- If you had a chance to go hiking for a day all by yourself, what would you pack in your backpack? What would you pray about?
- Which is better—apple pie or pumpkin pie? Have you thanked God lately for creating apples/pumpkins?
- If you could design a fall-inspired ice cream flavor, what would it be? Why do you think God gave us taste buds?
- What is your favorite item of fall clothing in your closet? What items do you think you could part with and give to a family in need?
- Name five things you can do with a squash. Why in the world do you think God created the squash, anyway? Isn’t He creative?
- What do you enjoy best about nature in fall? Tell God how much you appreciate it!